Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Made a Headband!

I'm officially hooked on "Glee," and while watching it the other day, I saw a headband on Emma that I thought was tooooo cute. I thought, "I could make something like that...maybe" and decided to give it a whirl. So this evening, I sat down in my craft room and made myself a cute little headband. Of course, it doesn't look EXACTLY like Emma's - I wanted a different color and a bigger headband because I can't stand it when my headbands "ride up" my hair like hers looks like it's doing - but I am pretty satisfied with it nonetheless :)

My inspiration:

(Sorry about the pixelated image - I'm just glad I was able to get a screen capture at all!)

First, I stitched the headband. I simply measured the length of ribbon I wanted by putting it around my head, then using a small amount of elastic in the back (by "finger-guesstimating" how much I'd need). I left about 3/4" extra ribbon on both sides, folded it over, and stitched the elastic in. I put the headband on to make sure it fit and to measure the length of the second ribbon, the angle at which I'd need to sew it, etc. Then I sewed it. I got really lucky with all of this guesstimating; I am fully aware that it could've been a disaster. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of each step - I only have a pic of the completed headband.


Then I whipped out my glue gun, turned it on the low setting, and glued on my gems.




Voila! My cute headband!


:)

*One last apology - I know the coloring of the pics is really weird. I guess the lighting in my ultra-green craft room doesn't make for the best pictures. So I'll either have to start crafting in daylight or you'll have to expect weird-looking pictures of my future endeavors!*

Next time I will:
1) Try a wider angle (bigger space) between the two pieces of ribbon.
2) Use less ribbon, more elastic. I thought that the more ribbon I used, the prettier my headband would be, but it's really not as flexible as I'd like.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Cute. I am so impressed with your headband! I recorded a few episodes of Glee too, but I am not sure what I think yet. I think I should have started at the beginning, because I'm not getting into it jumping in in the middle.

Whitney said...

Cute!! I am about to netflix Glee. I only caught one show and it was the one with Kristen Chenowith on it and I loveeeed it.

Kristena said...

Totally cute!!! And I love Glee too. :)

Whitney said...

Hey, I left a comment on my blog explaining what I meant. Going through a hard time and needing prayer is not AT ALL what I meant. I mean consistent Debbie Downers. Ones who complain just for the sake of complaining. The ones who NEVER have a good thing to say about anything. That's what I can't take! I've never thought of your blog as a downer....ever.

Hannah said...

I like yours better, actally