Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This is the Greatest and Best Pi in the World: Tribute.

My Gra and my Pi met when my mom and Aunt Lisa were young girls. They had been used to it being just the three girls living together, so when Pi and Gra got married and suddenly there was a man in the house, they weren't too keen on the idea of having more discipline in their lives. Pi worked his way into their hearts soon enough, though, by his HILARIOUS, cynical sense of humor and heart the size of Andre the Giant's (without the health issues).

So when I was born, Pi had been a part of the family for over a decade. I've never known any different than having him as my grandpa. And, because my parents have been divorced since I was five and Pi and Gra have always lived only a couple miles away from us, he's been my "dad" as well.

Let me tell you some things about this man. He is 6'4" and has a white, curly afro. He is beautiful. We call him our unflavored sno cone. Any time we need to find him among lots of people, all we have to do is look at the tops of everyone's heads. He is, to quote Waldo Aloysius Johnston III, "A rare rose in a garden of weeds."

As I stated previously, he is very cynical. He is impatient, sarcastic, generous, brilliant, witty, kind, and gentle. It's possible when you're Pi. He loves children and animals.
He would (and does) bend over backward for anyone, whether it's a beloved family member or a stranger. He is adored by all who know him, particularly me. I even speak Old English to him because it just seems appropriate.

If you haven't met him, you need to. But I will give you this comparison: ever seen the Steve Martin version of "Father of the Bride?" Yeah, that's him. Up and down and all the way around. Completely. I was proud to be on his arm and to dance with him on MY wedding day.

He has never, ever failed to be there for me (or ANYONE who needs him). The most wonderful thing of all is that he won't take credit for any of it. He rolls his eyes and says, "Ohhh, come on" and acts like it's no big deal at all. But it's the biggest deal in the world. I don't even want to know where my life would have gone if he hadn't been in it. He's my (and so many others') Pi.

3 comments:

Joe Momma said...

Awesome! And I totally got the reference in the title and will now have that song in my head for roughly 167 hours.

Kelly said...

How sweet. I hope he reads your blog and can see your kind words about him. I remember what I thought when I first read this post. Where did the name Pi come from? Is it short for something?

Sarah said...

Ha! I honestly don't remember where "Pi" came from...it's not pronounced like "pie," but rather like "pin" or "pill" without the ending consonants ;) My sister and I went through a phase in middle school where we were calling him something different on an almost daily basis. He happened to be Pi when I met my best friend and Mary met her two best friends - so when we introduced them to Pi, it stuck. Now EVERYONE calls him that. :)