Saturday, July 4, 2009

Meet Me in St. Louie, Louie

This post is long overdue! A couple of weekends ago, Ryan and I headed up to St. Louis for the wedding of two friends. The groom, Justin, is a friend from college; the bride, Katie, is another story...rather, few stories. I met her through Justin at another wedding during college, but she also knew Josey's brother Gabe through high school theatre, Josey's sister Summer through college, AND my sister's friend Tracey through college. I'm tied to this girl in quite a few random ways.

Joining us were our dear college friends, two of them married couples. It was like a mini TU reunion, only in my wonderful hometown!

We had the time of our lives. Five of us stayed at Pi and Gra's house. On Friday night, we went to the City Museum. If you've never been, I can't really describe it other than to say that it is like a quirky, indoor playground that adults enjoy as well. It also has art and oddities of all sorts. We bought passes to go up onto the newly finished roof, on which there is a ferris wheel and a giant slide, among other attractions.
We were told "NO REFUNDS" when we paid the 5 bucks for the roof passes. We got up there, looked around for approximately ten seconds, and heard, "The roof is closing!" A storm was coming. Nooooooo!

I felt incredibly stupid and guilty for "causing" everyone to waste $5, but we still had a good time inside. We explored caves, walked through a hall of mirrors, climbed a ridiculous number of flights of stairs to slide down a huuuuuuge slide, and enjoyed chatting/laughing with one another.

Then we came back and went to sleep.

On Saturday morning, Ryan and I joined Yemma, Pi, my Aunt Lisa and my cousin Jordan for a special pre-Father's Day breakfast. Great family time was had by all. Great banana crunch pancakes were had by me.

Aunt Lisa is so pretty!

The wonderful honoree.


My cousin Jordan and me!

My maaaan!

Ladies :)

(Gra took our friends out for brunch to keep them entertained. She's hospitable like that.)

That afternoon, it was time for the wedding. I think this was the first wedding I've ever been to where it was difficult at first to decide which side to sit on - however, since all of my friends knew Justin better than Katie, we all sat on his side. My cutie filmed the wedding.

It was a beautiful ceremony. I wish I'd been able to get better pictures, but we were sitting kind of far back. The priest told funny, cute stories about the couple. It was intimate and sweet.

There was a gap of a few hours between the ceremony and reception, so what were we to do? It was a hot day in St. Louis...not really a lot of head-scratching going on for ideas.
Although Ted Drewes is DELICIOUS, a few of our group were needing some "real" food. Next we made our way to St. Louis Bread Co. (I love that I can still call it that up there...) for a late lunch. We sat and talked for awhile, then headed to the art museum for a bit.
I LOVE our art museum. I love that it was around for the historic 1904 World's Fair and I love that it's free. (So is the zoo - the only bad thing about that is that now I think it's preposterous to have to pay to get into a zoo or an art museum.)

Cookieface and I hug a tree.

After we closed the place down at 5, we journeyed to a magical place I'd never been but had been wanting to experience for quite awhile...Bailey's Chocolate Bar.

I knew that it had...well, chocolate...but I didn't realize that it had a full page dedicated to chocolate martinis/other classy drinks and a menu full of tempting desserts and appetizers like fancy cheeses. The atmosphere was so fun! Wow, we ate a LOT that day, but the best food was still to come.

Reception time! Katie and Justin's dinner and dancing reception was at Rose of The Hill. FYI for St. Louis novices - if you hear the words "the hill," that's your cue to salivate. Like Pavlov's dogs. It's a historic Italian part of town in which I could eat every meal every day for the rest of my life and never want for anything else. The food was exquisite, and our group of eight were all seated at the same table, so the day-long fun continued into the night. There was also an open bar that served the best amaretto sour I've ever had in my life. (Wow, this post is making me sound like a drunk...just throwing this out there; I drink MAYBE once or twice a month and rarely ever have more than one drink at a time. I had ONE chocolate-covered cherry martini and ONE amaretto sour that day. So there.) ;)

First dance!

Father/daughter dance :)
Check out the hilarious garter!
This is the single picture of me at the wedding/reception. Have a look at that humidity hair!
Not my best picture. Anyway, Justin, Katie and their families threw a great party. We were fortunate to get to catch up with the bride and groom at our table for awhile! (Now they're on their European adventure honeymoon!) We closed the joint down, then headed back for some sleep.

On Sunday, the five of us who were staying at Pi and Gra's enjoyed a breakfast with Pi, Gra, and Yemma. Then it was off to tour the Anheuser-Busch Brewery, something I'd never done before. I'm not a beer fan, but it was really interesting to see and hear about the whole process.

Inside the stables where the Clydesdales are kept :)This room was FREEEEEEEEZING.
Learning about the process
This room was soooo cool.
I loved the light fixture!
So wait...some people need signs? ;)This reminded me of the room where Veruca Salt's dad is paying all those girls to go through boxes and boxes of chocolate to find a golden ticket.
At the end of the tour, they serve free beer. I had a Mountain Dew ;) and Ryan had a beer just to try it, but didn't like it. I took a sip and it gave me the same feeling as when I drink Emergen-C: like my head was swimming and about to explode. Not for me. But we had a fun time of chatting :)

Shannon had to catch a flight later that afternoon, so we decided to go to Fitz's for a late lunch and to spend some more time together before she had to leave. Unfortunately, we all sat at the bar for time's sake and it was horrible for photos, so we didn't get any.

All in all, we had a FANTASTIC weekend of St. Louis fun!


David said...

But but but in the wine cellar, I reached out for one of the huge tanks and made a twisting motion as if to release the catch and said, "One for my homies"!

Stephanie said...

I had no idea the city museum had a roof now with all that stuff. That's sad for me. I'm going to have to go one of these days!

Gilmore-Kozlen said...

I need to be a tourist and go and do all of these fun things someday soon! I haven't been to the City Museum in probably 3 years and I know ALOT has changed. I have never been to the brewery or the Chocolate place, and I really want to go to the Magic House. I hear it is WAY bigger now! ... Your post is motivating me!

Sarah's Adventures said...

Hahaha, David, that's funny. I wish I'd caught it at the time :)