Saturday, July 11, 2009

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted...

I never traveled tons when I was a kid. Our "big trips" were always to Mount Airy, North Carolina (the real-life Mayberry) at Christmas with our dad, and to Mount Airy/North Myrtle Beach in the summers. They were always big family reunions on my dad's side. I have tons of cousins on that side and each visit was a blast.

I went to Disney World when I was about seven or eight, too. That was the only major vacation I've ever taken with my mom. However, since that was all we knew and since we made so much out of every trip we did take, I'd never really ached to go gallivanting around the globe.

Now I am married to a man who went to Europe when he was six and has also been to Africa, Mexico, Canada, and most of the United States (and back to Europe). Since we got together, I've been to Mexico three times and gone on more trips around the US. Most recently, we went with his parents to Vegas. All of these little vacas have been eye-opening and wonderful, and I totally blame Ryan and his parents for the fact that...I now have a major case of travelin' fever.

It seems that lately, I very often find myself thinking about trips on which I'd like to embark. My imagination is wild and stubborn and, therefore, refuses to think about trivial things that others would call "practicality," "money," and other such pish-posh. So, without the restraint of likelihood, here are some adventures I would love to have:

1) Europe. For MONTHS. Maybe even a year or more. I'm reading Little Women right now and I'm surprised that the pages detailing Amy's and Laurie's prolonged European adventures aren't marked with drool. I would float about from place to place, getting a feel for each city in each country I visited. I would go beyond seeing the touristy sites. I would get to know the quirks and secrets and beauty of every piece.

2) Prince Edward Island. I am a huge Anne of Green Gables fan, and I long to tour the island on which Anne's adventures were based. This trip would also include a visit to Concord, Massachusetts to visit Louisa May Alcott's house (the basis for the Marches' house in Little Women).

3) A long, long road trip down historic Route 66 to California, stopping as many times as we liked along the way (and DEFINITELY staying in one of those wigwam motels). I've never been to California and, as grateful as I would be for any opportunity to go, I think my heart would ache just a little bit if I didn't get to go by car the first time. The days of anticipation would, I think, give me a retro feel for the excitement felt by travelers before air travel was all the rage. (But don't get me wrong; if I were offered a flight out there, I would deal with it quite nicely.)

4) Greece. Coastal Greece. A la Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Mamma Mia! The architecture, the sun, the sparkling sea...'nuff said. (I hate that phrase, but I find it infuriatingly necessary here.)

5) Back to Mount Airy and Myrtle Beach. Ryan has been able to show me so much, and I have a deep longing to show him the Carolinas for the first time. We would drive along the same route that my dad always took when I was a kid. Even as an impatient child, the beauty of the mountains always captivated me and I cannot wait until the day when I get to share it with him. (He's seen mountains, of course, but not these mountains, and I just know it would be special.) Besides, I haven't been in years and would love so much to revisit all of those happy childhood memories.

Have any of you been on adventures similar to these, or any other exciting journeys? I would love to hear about them.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I wish I have had journeys like the ones you mentioned! My only "vacations" growing up consisted of softball and baseball tournaments. Yee-ha1

Kelly said...

When we went to Vegas, we rented a car and drove a few hours to LA and then San Diego. That was one way to do the trip without having to drive the entire way. Joey and I also had the chance to go to Rome and Spain a number of years ago. Last week, we went to Cancun...speaking of, I need to stop commenting and go post pictures.

josephhutson said...

Well, if we do in fact have a GREYSCALE premiere in LA, that would take care of the Route 66 drive to California. :D