Friday, May 1, 2009

Enya

Okay - before you read any further, I need you to do me a favor. If you have iTunes, open it up and go to the store. Search Enya's "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" and listen to the 30-second clip. It is almost necessary for the following story to be worthwhile (if it is worthwhile at all). Don't think something is wrong with your computer; for the first few seconds, it's silent. It's from the beginning of the song. Waste of part of a 30-second sample, but at least you hear what I am referring to in this story.

We have no idea why, but magically, after every latest song my husband buys on iTunes, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" by Enya starts to play. Somehow his Purchased playlist has gotten messed up or something. It's kind of become a joke between us because I tend to moan, "Nooooo" when it begins to play. It's too weird for my taste and there's no escaping it.

You might know that recently I came to the conclusion that if the Statue of Liberty were a real person, she would be Enya. They both seem to be off in their own worlds that no one else will ever understand. (I must admit that my judgment of the statue is based solely upon looks in this case. Of course I know what she represents; it's not about that here. It's about her face. Her thoughtful, somber, incredibly intimidating (to me) face.)

So tonight, after the latest song my husband has purchased ended, the song, of course, began to play. I put on my most solemn "you will never understand" face, raised my make-believe torch and my left foot, and began to lip-sync along. My husband cracked up. He must get it, too. Either that, or I looked incredibly stupid. In any case, the conversation that ensued went something like this:

Me: "I'm telling you, she's just not normal!"
Ryan: "That's not very nice."
Me: "I'm not trying to be mean; I'm stating it as a fact. (In my mind) she does nothing but take baths with flowers floating in the water."
Ryan: "I should find an interview or something on YouTube with her acting like a totally normal person."
Me: "If you ever find that, don't tell me."
Ryan: "Really?"
Me: "Yes. It will ruin her in my mind. She's too other-worldly to...go to Wal-Mart."

So, tell me...am I crazy? Or can any of you see what I'm talking about?

(To be fair, I doubt Enya goes to Wal-Mart even if she is "normal." I'm not rich or famous and I won't step foot in the awful place.)

No comments: